Sunday, December 8, 2019

Treacherous war heroes.

In 1803 the Danish king revoked a deal with the people from Lærdal, that exempted the men from military service as long as they maintained the roads over the mountains. This the Lærdølingene didn't like so the rebelled, in the end the leaders ended up executed.  5 years later Lærdalske lette infanterikompani marched 320km over the mountains in winter to get to the Swedish border, they took part in the battle of Trangen, a glorious victory over the Swedes. 




I've wanted to do my patriotic duty and do a Norwegian project, but there aren't that many options, it's the GNW, I got a book on the war in Norway and it's great for inspiration, but I feel the skirmish pose figures are missing. And you have modern, with Norwegian soldiers taking part in many actions of the last 20 years. The last option is the Napoleonic wars, with battles both in the 1808/9 period and 1814. I choose 1808 for a few reasons, 1 tophats are FAR FAR cooler than the boring shakoes. 2 It will let me do What-ifs of British amphibious landings so I'm not limited to fighting Swedes.

Since the "battles" in the war of 1808/9(and 1814) at best can be called "actions" but are probably just skirmishes+ I've decided to use Sharp Practice 2. I've watched som SP games on youtube and they look jolly fun. 




 Lærdalske lette infanterikompani used green jeger uniforms.

 I haven't quite figured out if they used rifles or the jaeger-muskets, it does appear the rifle wasn't standard for the norwegian light troop. I know we had them as I've seen them at a museum. 






A painting showing the  Lærdalske lette infanterikompani crossing the mountain. 

8 comments:

Phil said...

Atmopsheric and beautiful pictures!

Bluewillow said...

Nice little unit, great bit of history also.

Cheers
Matt
French Wargame Holidays

Khusru said...

It does look inspirational

Gunfreak said...

Thanks,they did turn out nice.

Gunfreak said...

Happy you like them.

warpaintjj said...

I do like a niche project and this is very niche!
Great paint job and wintry photos to add atmosphere.
Best wishes,
Jeremy

Gunfreak said...

Thanks, yes it's quite niche.

Gonsalvo said...

Great stuff, and I think this is one time when the skirmish level is very appropriate! Probably nothing you don't already know here, but you might be interested in the three posts on my blog about the Norwegian Army of the Napoleonic Wars, especially the Elverum Ski Company:

https://blundersonthedanube.blogspot.com/search/label/Norway

Peter