Friday, February 21, 2020

Italian Wars Men at Arms.

So I've done some more work on my Italian wars project. 
They are Perry 1450-1500 men at arms, that I've Italian-war-uped. The biggest part is the standard-bearer, I stole the idea from Stuart Mulligan and you can see his far better version here.
So I green-stuffed the skirt and hat for him. I also decapitated some damaged foundry gendarmes and used to of the heads. These have a dual purpose. The flag is removable and the unit can be used as men at arms by themself, they can be Italian condottiere or Spanish men at arms. Or I can use some of them in my Ordinance Lace formations. My plan is for the Lance formations to consist of 4 Gendarmes, flanked by 4 men at arms and those again flanked by 4 archers. 



Getting these done was a pain in the ass, I got the flu at the start of the week, and wasn't really in shape to paint much, but I  did manage to finish the last 4(the first 4 I did months ago) Not that happy with a couple of the horses the colour I used was strange, with stuff in it. 

But worse it got when I attempted to do the basing. After doing the first layer of brown on all the bases, I got up, but being rather sick I was in my robe and the robe attached itself to 2 of the bases. One survived the fall, the other base lost both horses and one of the riders lost its head. So I had to glue that on again, and it stopped me from finishing the base yesterday. Today I see that one of the horses I glued yesterday is on crocked, so I had to remove it, and now glue it with superglue. Then as I finish the basing, another base falls to the floor. This time one of the lances fall out. So I have to glue that one on again too. And almost lost the lance in the attempt.  But they're done now. And I've put them in a safe place before they spontaneously combust. 




7 comments:

Bluewillow said...

Excellent stuff, a great looking unit.

I purchased some plumes from Eureka miniatures ready for my conversions, plus plenty of scope for change if you are handy with green stuff, although not as handy as Stuart!

Cheers
Matt

Phil said...

Colorful and splendid!

Gunfreak said...

Thanks Phil.

Gunfreak said...

What Stuart does is art, both the green stuff work and his painting.

I'm reasonably happy with my italian and French infantry with green stuff. But I have 2 more units of those to do. And kinda avoiding them, it's a little daunting even when I've kinda succeeded once.

Klingula said...

I think this is a very successful job 8)

Gunfreak said...

Thanks.

Friends Of General Haig said...

They look great!