Friday, October 18, 2019

Schenckendorff Grenadiers

So this is a bit of a compromised unit, first I used Fife and Drum hessian grenadiers, but the battalion is made up from fusilier regiments, so I just had to paint over the lapels and pretend they aren't there.

But other stuff came along too, having painted half the battalion, I realised I had a brain fart when I ordered it. and I was missing 2 figures to make the unit as I wanted it to. So that made me give up on the whole battalion for several months, planing on ordering the extra figures the next time I order from Minden or Crann Tara. But then I thought of a cheat, I took the mounted commander and used him as a mounted officer for the battalion. I actually like the look of a mounted commander in a battalion, but I would have preferred the battalion to be at least 30 strong, it looks a bit too small and squished when you have a mounted commander in a 24 man unit. But when one is desperate.

Then came the third compromise, I had bought some new paint, red, black and blue. I had used the red and black on some SYW highlanders(hope to post some pictures of that unit soon) I had also used some of the new blue on the bonnets of the highlanders. But I wanted to use the blue on some larger parts. So I used 4 of the 6 new blues on the coats of half the battalion, now it's a great blue, I love it. But it doesn't match the old blue very well.


Anyway here is the compromised grenadier battalion Schenckendorff.


 After doing half the unit, I realised I was missing two men holding the musket upright. 
So the colonel had to take personal command.
 Like my previous British battalion, I tried to do platoon fire. 
Just to screw things up extra, the new blue was used on alternate bases. so I can't even claim the differences in the blue is based different supply. As half of Prinz Heinrich von Preußen Fusiliers and half of Münchow Fusiliers have the new blue.


In brain farts when ordering, I ordered too few Minden fusiliers. so I'm missing 4 fusiliers to be able to finish that battalion. And the shipping from the states is such that I can't just order s few figures. So that unit will have to wait. So my pitful Prussian army will be only 2 battalions for quite a few weeks or months more. 

But it's not like I'm lacking SYW stuff to paint. 
I have 1.5 french battalions to paint, 1 french gun, last 6 of those highlanders, 2 Austrian battalions, 2 Austrian squadrons. I think at least 3 or 4 Prussian cuirassier squadrons, at least 2 Prussian dragoon squadrons, and 6  or more Prussian Hussar squadrons. 


4 comments:

Anton Ryzbak said...

Lovely brushwork!

Phil said...

Superb unit of grenadiers, well done!

Neil Moulden said...

Looks good. That was a great fix.

Gunfreak said...

Thanks, necessity is the mother of all inventions.