Saturday, October 26, 2019

Tiny Languedoc infantry.


I saw these Van Dyck 10mm figures several months ago and thought they looked amazing. or more correctly unbelievable, this 10mm can, in theory, be painted as 28mm, if you have superhuman sight and a tiny tiny brush. I can't do that, but I did manage to use 3 layer method on most of the figures. 

The major uniform parts, jacket, stockings and cuffs all got 3 layers, the light grey jacket could be better, I had to mix grey and white to get the various shades and it's not ideal. But the blue and red turned out well. The leather also got 3 layers while the black, wood and hair got 2. The flesh gets 3 layers and ink between layer 1 and 2. The metal(bronze and steel) only got 1 layer. And so did the hatband.

I thought long and hard on how to do the unit. I toyed with doing different ranks based on the french vs allied ranks. So french would get 3 ranks to simulate 4 or 5 ranks, while the allies get 2 ranks to simulate 3. But it got too complicated and the french ended up with way too many figures to paint. 

So I did 2 ranks with a fake 3rd rank consisting of drummers and sergeants. The total was 41 figures. 



 I like these, the fact I took such close up picture hint that I'm quite happy with them.

 They are based on 3 bases so standard BLB basing. 
 They are based on 45x40mm bases, so 13.5cm frontage.  My 28mm BLB forces are 18cm, so not that much smaller. But over twice the numbers in the unit.

Showing the 3rd "rank" with sergeants and drummers, my plate didn't show the drummer uniform for WSS but kronosgraph shows royal livery for the drummers, so I gambled the regiment had the same 50 years earlier.

6 comments:

Phil said...

Great looking unit, beautiful painting and basing!

Gunfreak said...

Thanks, Phil.

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Hat piping on 10mm - crazy good. I'm loathe to do it on 28mm.

Gunfreak said...

Thanks, hat piping was the easy part. The. Musket and coats was the most difficult. There is plenty of detail on the coat, I simply can't make out without a visor and very fine brush.

Friends Of General Haig said...

A great looking unit - quite amazing that they are 10mm!

Gunfreak said...

Thanks, yes they are superbly made little soldiers. True joy to paint.