Thursday, November 7, 2019

87th Highlanders

So another unit is done, this time the 87th Highlanders. This is the 3rd SYW battalion done in quite a short time. But the only one I've actually done in a shortish time. The French and Prussian battalion was stuff I started on months or even years ago. But the 87th I started on just some weeks ago. I did 3 bases in a week, but the kilts take a lot out of you, and I needed a break.




The coats are the new Andrea red I bought all 6 layers of them.
The kilts are so so, I honestly can't paint them well, but they turned out better than I feared.
The stockings, on the other hand, turned out shit.

 Again I tried my "patterned" platoon fire formation. 
 The flags are Maverick cloth flags.

My winter plan can now move on to the French, Austrian and Prussian battalions. 
Aswell as many units of cavalry and a few guns, 

14 comments:

Doug said...

I think you're being a bit tough on yourself, the kilts and plaid look really good.

If I may make a suggestion that the stockings are best painted in a pink to show that the red was actually a mix of red and white fibres, and if you are particularly enthusiastic, a deeper pink where they intersect. Overall they look terrific.

ColCampbell50 said...

Very nicely done. As you can tell from my "handle" I have a soft spot for anything Scottish.

By the way, this post was "Tangoed" today on TMP: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=518581

Jim

Eric Burgess said...

I based my SYW Highlanders two to a stand to allow them to skirmish (mostly what they did in the war), but also allows them to form up as they did in some of the late battles. Great brush work! I'm impressed!

Phil said...

A wonderful unit, splendid flags and kilts!

Gunfreak said...

My problem was trying to make them straight and even around the entire leg.

Gunfreak said...

That's my own post. ;)

Gunfreak said...

I have enough to do a skirmish version to. I hope to start on them later.

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Kilts are so difficult to do correctly and not look wonky. These are great! Well done.

Neil Scott said...

Great looking regiment

Gunfreak said...

Thanks, Neil.

caveadsum1471 said...

Great looking kilts! Lovely deep red too!
Best Iain

Ray Rousell said...

Well I think you made a great job on them!

Gunfreak said...

Thanks you.

Gunfreak said...

Thanks.