Saturday, May 15, 2021

Send in the guards

Guilford court house here we go again. 
Attempt nr. 20 or so at doing this battle, this was in fact my second ever project. Never got far, I've tried to do this battle in 6mm, 10mm, 28mm(several times) and 40mm.
I'm giving it a go!
The last time I did AWI was back in 2014 so 7 years now! I have evolved a lot as a painter since then. Though I still find the tight sitting legwear hard to do well. 
I'm sticking mostly with the OOB from British Grenadier scenario book. With the only planned modifications being halving the 71st from 24 to 12, as the scenario book apparently used the strength for both battalions and not just the one present at the battle. I'm also giving the British 2 6pdrs and 1 3pdr, instead of 2 3pdrs. This is based on the OOB in Long, Obstinate and Bloody book, which is a fantastic piece of history writing. 
I'm sticking to the 1:20 scale in the scenario book and default for the rules. It means the British will only be about 130 figures strong. So slightly bigger than a Napoleonic brigade. Or even smaller in some cases. But hopefully, that will means I actually get things done. I ordered most of what I need for the Brtish, only missing the artillery, legion infantry and cavalry, the 71st and generals. But I have miniatures for both guard battalions, 23rd, 33rd, von Bose, hessian jaegers and British light infantry, as well as the flags for all those plus the 71st. I also ordered enough continental plastic to do the two Maryland regiments, again with some flags. So I really have no obstacles to do a lot on this project except myself. and me seeing "squirrel"



I had bought a box of perry British infantry randomly when I ordered something completely different. Which was nice as I could start on the project while waiting for the main order to arrive. First up was the 1st battalion of guards.

Tiny 12 figure battalion.


I'm glueing together figures for the 33rd now. 

4 comments:

Neil Scott said...

A nice start

pancerni said...

Good luck with the project, seems you have a good start.

I concur about the bloody squirrels. Something must be done.

Codsticker said...

Very nice GF; the figures look great and the photography is awesome. How are you basing these figures? Sabot style?

Gunfreak said...

Thanks guys.
Codsticker, no they are based 4 to a 45x45mm base.