Monday, January 6, 2020

Let's do the Marshal!

The marshal of course being a very popular dance back in the day, it was the 1210s answer to the Macarena.

Ok, not it's this Marshal. William Marshal, 1st Earl of Pembroke

 I'm sure you've seen this figure quite a lot of late, it's from the new Baron's war range.
I joined the Kickstarter.


I not sure if my project will actually centre on the Baron's war, it would be easiest on account of all the known lords that will be easier to find heraldry for. Or if I want to do a continental affair.

I've decided to base and plan this project for the unofficial Medieval supplement for Sharp Practice 2. The rules are really for later medieval period. So I think I'll have to do some house rules on the unofficial supplement.

 There was no plate armour in the late 12th and early 13th century. But I'll simply treat knightly full body mail as plate and soldiers with just a habuk or coif etc as "mail" under those rules. I think that will work just fine, as not all mail was created equal.

The question is if I have to do anything with the cavalry, given how dominating it was during this period vs later periods. But I have to actually test the supplement before I can do that. Anyway, I'm very happy with The Marshal, Paul Hicks was nice enough to sculpt him with his arm in the way of his chest and some folds in the surcoat, which means my bad freehand dragon is nicely hidden.

His sword scabbard got some nice flowers, which apparently was a thing they did. 

h

4 comments:

ColCampbell50 said...

That figure is very nicely done!! I'm off and on reading a three volume biographical novel about the Marshall, titled William Marshall: Guardian of England by Richard Woodman. I bought it as a Kindle e-publication.

Jim

Gunfreak said...

I'm gonna go get that series.

Bluewillow said...

Bloody lovely work mate, i will pick up a few to add to my Plantagenet battles and claims here in France.

Cheers
Matt
French Wargame Holidays

Gunfreak said...

You should, the miniatures are excellent.