Wednesday, April 10, 2019

14th Light dragoons.

A very long time no see, it's only 7 days shy of 2 months since the last time I made a post.
I have been doing stuff, I have several half done units, which is my style. I can give spoilers that I'm working on 2 Prussian SYW units a French SYW/WAS unit, British peninsula unit and probably more I've forgotten.

But today I'll show off some Perry plastic light dragoons.


 I love these figures, by far the best plastic cavalry I've painted, the horses in particular suits my painting style.
 The light dragoons in their early uniforms are of course super sexy, and the French fell in love with them.
 But sadly they had to ruin them and give them boring jackets and a boring shako.
 They are just another piece of evidence in my theory that uniforms for all nations got more boring and sucky the further into the war you go.
Style does count for something, and it's hard to beat these in style points. 


I would have liked the orange facings to pop more, but I have no good oranges, and I have to mix and it's never as good as I'd like. 
The jacket is Foundry Union blue triad with coat d'arms fester blue as a highlight, which is still my go to blue mix for dark blue uniforms.
All the white is reaper off white triad.
I really like the grey horse for the trumpeter, I've never really managed grey before. but this one is quite good. 
I was also happy that they used brown tackle, I find it very boring to always having to paint the tackle black.

So yeah I'm very happy with them, not so much with the British plastic infantry I'm working on, they are very fiddly to paint and I feel it gets a little messy. I'm considering abandoning them, and start again by buying some metal. 

5 comments:

Phil said...

Well done, a great looking regiment!

Gunfreak said...

Thank you Phil.

Friends Of General Haig said...

A beautiful unit. The early LD uniform is my favourite of the war, and you have really done it justice with a fabulous paint job.

Neil Scott said...

Lovely looking unit

Gunfreak said...

Thanks guys!