Monday, May 6, 2019

TYW Cavalry

Well, I managed to get a unit done within a month of last blog post, I know the blog is slow, but I'm still struggling with the output. I have worked on other stuff, so I have more half done units.

Anyway, the unit I made was a Thirty Years War cavalry unit, a mix of Cuirassiers and Harqebusers.
They will be split into their own units when Avanpost makes a standard bearer.
The figures are as you guessed Avanpost, beautiful figures, but, quite delicate, and kinda stiff and little character, my main problem is the mono poses, you can add a little variation by how you glue on the horsetails and the vizors.  So I decided to add a lot of variations, both to the horses and riders.
The only theme is read, they all got red saddlecloth, and some got a little more red here and there. 

I've also used 3 different types of buff leather, a quite yellow one, a mid yellow and a more tan/beige.
There are also dark brown leather, black leather and red leather for the various leather equipment, and horse tackle. 

The officer is fantastic! And there is so much detail on the figures, I can't do them proper justice.

These will most likely be Bavarian once I get the flags.








4 comments:

Friends Of General Haig said...

A great looking unit! I have bought a few of the Avanpost figures and really like them. I find the foot can fit in with my Warlord/Perry/Foundry/TAG collection. The horses are a bit smaller than these other ranges so I either mount them on other horses or ensure only Avanpost horses in a unit.

Phil said...

Well done, beautiful cavalry!

Gunfreak said...

I'll try and use Avanpost as much as possible, only other option for me seems to be bohemian miniatures, they look quite nice.

Gunfreak said...

Thank you Phil.