Friday, February 7, 2020

Croats!

I've done 6 Croats from the Karlstädter-Lykaner Grenzinfanterieregiment. I plan on doing more of these. But I've been in a painting slump, with drills, brushes and figures all conspiring against me. So I needed something so show.  



Reading Horrace St Pauls diary, it's amazing how much these soldiers dominated the early part of the Seven Years' War, The Prussians seemed incapable to counter them. a Few hundred Croats could wreak havoc in the Prussian army. Hundreds of Prussians could be killed, wounded and captured, and in one instance, the Austrians literally didn't lose a man. 

The book also makes it clear the perfect Sharp Practice force. While SP isn't my main thing for SYW, I do plan on doing it on the side, and the diary makes it clear that the standard force the Austrians use when they want to make problems Prussian consists of Croats, Hussars, often Grenadier companies and sometimes regular musketeers. So a SP force would be a couple of skirmishing Croats, and grenadiers for close order infantry, maybe a musketeer unit. And also some hussars. 



 I have enough for 9 more infantry with command and a mounted officer. 


 Formed up, which they did do. 

8 comments:

AJ (Allan) Wright said...

Love the reds on these - nicely shaded and still vivid.

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Agreed. Some impressive work with the paintbrush there.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Gunfreak said...

Thanks!

Gunfreak said...

Thanks Stokes.

Bluewillow said...

Great stuff mate, any chance you could enlarge the pics

Cheers
Matt

Phil said...

Lovely Croats, great colors and nice presentation!

Gunfreak said...

I can try and add a few of the pics in a bigger format for my next bloggpost.

Gunfreak said...

Thanks Phil