Tuesday, July 7, 2020

The 3rd Dragoons

So these are the reason I started my 28mm Peninsula project, I've been waiting and waiting for Perry to do the earlier British dragoons. And when they said they were gonna do them soonish, I decided to jump on the Peninsula War bandwagon. Perry have several versions, But I choose to put mine in regulation uniform, Anyone of my troopers caught with none proper uniform will be flogged until I see bone. Proper cavalry use hats, helmets are for girls training with their pony. 


I painted them as the 3rd dragoons, who together with 4th dragoons and 5th Dragoon Guards made up Le Marchant's heavy brigade. I plan on doing all 3 regiments at roughly 1:20 scale. The regiments end up being "uneven" with like 15 or 16 figure units. So I think I'll expand 1  regiment to 24 figures while keeping the others 12. Which means 48 figures, which is a little smaller than the 54 I think the whole brigade would be at 1:20. None of the rules I have really deals with single squadrons. And one of the 3 regiments are really big enough for them to warrant being "big" 
 I like them, but sadly I feel the pictures don't really do them justice, they look better in the hands.

 They look spiffy with their blue facings and yellow lace.
 It's not that easy finding info on these earlier dragoons, at least not online for free as most stuff you find just deals with the later ones in helmets.

Now I'm gonna try and finish that french battalion I started on 6 months ago, just 1 base left to do.

4 comments:

Bluewillow said...

Supurb work on those! I do prefer them in the earlier uniform, well done

Cheers
Matt
French Wargame Holidays

Gunfreak said...

Thanks, so do I.

Aly Morrison said...

Lovely work...

I also like the look of the earlier uniform... it’s very evocative of the period.

All the best. Aly

Gunfreak said...

Thanks.